Search
Search
Products
Products

About US

ARSENAL JSC is one of the leading companies in the Bulgarian defence industry, combining more than 146 years of tradition with continuous innovation, advanced manufacturing capabilities, and engineering expertise. Established in 1878, the company has evolved into a trusted international partner, recognized for its commitment to quality, reliability, and technological excellence. Supported by highly skilled professionals and modern production facilities, ARSENAL delivers solutions that meet the highest industry standards and the evolving requirements of customers worldwide.

The company's core activities include the design, manufacturing, and international trade of small arms, artillery systems, ammunition, pyrotechnic products, hunting and sporting cartridges, as well as a wide range of components and industrial products. Alongside its extensive manufacturing capabilities, ARSENAL provides comprehensive engineering services, including technology transfer, production line installation, personnel training, quality assurance, and technical consulting. This integrated approach enables customers to benefit from complete turnkey solutions tailored to their specific operational needs.

Quality, innovation, and long-term partnerships remain at the heart of ARSENAL's development strategy. The company continuously modernizes its product portfolio while maintaining the production of its proven and internationally recognized solutions. Certified according to NATO AQAP 210 requirements and ISO 9001:2015 standards, ARSENAL operates under a robust quality management system that guarantees consistent performance, regulatory compliance, and exceptional product reliability across both defence and civilian markets.

Company profile
Company profile

Over 148 years history

1878
Foundation of the Company
Arsenal

The history of Arsenal JSCо dates back to 1878, when, by decree of Prince Alexander Dondukov-Korsakov, a special military manufacturing facility was established in Ruse to support the needs of the newly formed Bulgarian Army – known as the Ruse Artillery Arsenal.

1884
First Bulgarian Director
Arsenal

Until 1884, the Ruse Arsenal was managed by Russian officers. On February 28, 1884, Professor General Simeon Nikolov Vankov was appointed as the first Bulgarian Director of the factory.

1891
Relocation to Sofia
Arsenal

At the beginning of 1891, by Decree No. 10 of Prince Ferdinand, the factory was relocated to Sofia and thus the Sofia Artillery Arsenal, headed by General Stefan Belov was established.

1924
Establishment in Kazanlak
Arsenal

In 1924 by the Decree of Tzar Boris III and by law adopted by the XXI Regular National Assembly, due to strategic reasons the factory was moved to Kazanlak under the name of State Military Factory.

1927 – 1942
Expansion and Technological Development
Arsenal

The law established the basic function of the State Military Factory -"to produce and repair all military equipment necessary for the army, the police, the border troops and all state security organs, as well as the testing of new models". Besides the rifles, pistols, cartridges manufactured at the Sofia Artillery Arsenal, for the first time in Kazanlak were produced primers, gas masks (1927-29), double-base and single-base artillery powders (1936-42), brake recoil fluids for the canons and the production of artillery projectiles was modernized. In the course of the years the factory was enlarging, renovating and developing to become a considerable part of the national economy. After the World War II started the production of new products of primary importance for the country - three-furrow ploughs, disk harrows, batteries, diesel engines, electric motors, as well as the repair of optical systems and the production of the first lathes and vertical milling machines.

1947 – 1948
Industrial Reorganization

On April 1, 1947, by Decree of the Council of Ministers the State Military Factory became a self-supported economic unit. By Decree of the Council of Ministers of 30.12.1948, the Bulgarian Military plants were consolidated under the special State holding "Metalchim", and the State Military Factory-Kazanlak passed from the Ministry of Defence to Ministry of Industry and Crafts under the name of "Factory-10".

1956 – 1958
Military and Civil Production
Arsenal

During the years 1956-58 "Factory-10" started the production of a recoilless canon B-10, as well as of assault rifles. The first rifle was manufactured in 1958 and the jubilee-one million-in 1982. The factory diversified into civil purpose machine-tool production: Drilling Machines BK-20 and BK-32 and Milling Machines FU-250 and FU-320.

1960 – 1964
Plant for Hard-Alloy Inserts
Arsenal

Later on, were created the conditions for designing and serial manufacturing of other machine-tools with high technical and economic parameters - a large range of milling machines, special purpose machines, units etc. On 01.12.1960 started the production of hard-alloy inserts. By Decree of the Council of Ministers from 10.08.1964 the factory was renamed to United Industrial Plant "Friedrich Engels" and became a powerful centre of the national machine building and the military industry. In this connection the factory adopted a new structure divided into seven independent factories.

1966
First Bulgarian Car
Arsenal

In 1966, at the premises of UIP "Friedrich Engels", the assembly of the "Bulgar Renault 8" cars was performed, and the production of anti-tank recoilless systems began.

1967
Scientific Development and New Products

In 1967 a Development Centre was established, which in 1984 grew into an Institute for Machine-tools. Over the following years, the company expanded its manufacturing capabilities through the establishment of: - Factory for springs; - Factory for special purpose machinery; - Factory for optional equipment (non-standard); - Production of powders, primers and pyrotechnic products; - Workshop for CNC machines; - Computing center etc.

1977 – 1989
New Licensed Weapons
Arsenal

From 1977 till 1989 the factory was known in Bulgaria and abroad as "F.Engels" Machine Building Plant. The machinery fleet is continually improved and modernized thus enlarging the possibilities for a wider scale of production. Simultaneously grew the number and the qualification of the specialists.

1989 – 1999
Transition to a Market Economy
Arsenal

On 12.06.1989 the company was registered as Arsenal State-Owned Company, and on 20.12.1991 it was transformed into a Sole Owner Joint Stock Company. During this period started the production of new machining centers under the license of the Japanese company "Yamazaki". A new Factory for the production of hard-alloy mixtures and inserts and a monolith module system "VARILOCK" was established and equipped under the license of the Swedish company "Sandvik Coromant" A plant for synthetic diamond was opened in collaboration with specialists from the Institute for Superhard Materials-Kiev. The company successfully adapted to the new market conditions and aligned its products and technologies with NATO standards. As of December 3, 1999, the factory is transformed into a joint-stock company Arsenal JSCo, with the following principal activities:

1999 – 2026
Modernization and Expansion of Manufacturing Capabilities
Arsenal

The period from 1999 to 2026 marks a significant phase of modernization, technological advancement, and expansion of the company’s manufacturing capabilities. In 2009, state-of-the-art production facilities were introduced, significantly enhancing operational efficiency, product quality, and competitiveness. In 2024, a new high-tech manufacturing facility was commissioned, built in accordance with the highest industrial standards. The plant features advanced production lines, automated systems, and specialized equipment for machining, quality control, and high-pressure testing. Robotic solutions and modern manufacturing technologies were integrated to ensure precision, reliability, and operational excellence. At the same time, the company launched a strategic expansion program for its propellant production facilities. The first phase includes the modernization of existing facilities and the reactivation of idle equipment, increasing annual production capacity from 1,500 to 3,000 tones. Completion of this phase is scheduled for the second half of 2026. Through these investments, the company continues to strengthen its position as a modern industrial enterprise, combining decades of expertise with innovative technologies and the highest standards of quality.

Museum

The Historic and Advertising Centre "Arsenal" is situated in a park not far from the administration building of Arsenal Ltd. and lies on an area of 610 m2. It is open to visitors as a museum on 18.10.1974. TAt the beginning there was just one room arranged as a historic exposition with photo and documentary material regarding the past of the factory. TIn 1994 one of the rooms was reconstructed for exhibiting most of the articles manufactured by "Arsenal". In the years 1997-98 was performed an artistic updating and reconstruction of the history room. T Nowadays three rooms are open - advertising, history and a room for old weapons systems, collected, revised and stored since the foundation of the museum. Actually more than 1000 weapons and accessories to them are kept here. TIn the history room is shown the rich story of the factory - since its foundation in 1878 till the celebration of the 120th anniversary of the Defence industry in Bulgaria. It is divided into three stages illustrated by a number of documents, photos and exhibits.

The first stage comprises the period since the foundation of the first armament workshop in Rousse - the Artillery Arsenal of Rousse in 1878 and its moving to Sofia in 1891 as Artillery Arsenal of Sofia. There is shown the letter of the chief of the Central Military Records Office - Veliko Tarnovo about the "birth date" of "Arsenal", Decree No 1 of prince Dondoukov for the establishment of the Artillery Arsenal in Rousse, a picture of prof. gen. Simeon Vankov - its first Director, a copy of Decree No. 10 of prince Ferdinand and Disposition for the foundation of the Sofia Artillery Arsenal, a number of copies of documents, pictures of buildings and workshops. In the large glass-case is shown the first chronograph "Blanget" for measuring the initial speed of the bullet, diaries, diagrams, revised weapons. The second stage begins in 1924 when the Sofia Artillery Arsenal was moved to Kazanlak as a State Military Factory to the end of World War II -1945. A special attention here is given to the Decree of Tzar Boris III for the State Military Factory and copy of the decision of the XXI National Assembly published in the Official Journal, the picture of the then Minister of War gen. Ivan Valkov, archive photos of the newly opened workshops and other materials illustrating the enlarged activity of the factory.

The stage after the World War II is characterized by considerable drop of the orders for military products and the orientation of the production facilities for civil sphere.

The exhibited diesel engines, electric motors, batteries, radiators, the first lathe "Niles", lathe model 200, the six milling machines, cast-iron mouldings, hard alloy plates, the first - in 1958 and the millionth assault rifle in 1982, the prototypes of pistols and sub-machine guns, exhibits of powders, cartridges and pyrotechnic products of the factory illustrate its intensive and varied development.

The photo copies follow the chronology of the events, that is when the factory passes from one institution to another, changing names and managers, enlarges and extends its structures and activities but always has remained the pillar of the national machine building and the defence industry of the country. A considerable part of the exhibition take the various diplomas, awards, medals, posters, souvenirs from participants at international fairs and exhibitions.

The two visits of the designer of the legendary assault rifle "Kalashnikov" are evidenced by several precious pictures , as well as by a 5,45 mm assault rifle and smoothbore carbine "Saiga 410" with the authentic signature of their designer and Certificate of Authenticity.

Parallel to the production program has been developed the sociocultural and sports activity which results in a number of mountain huts, recreation centres, sanatoria, hospital, sports complex with a hotel, a house of culture, kindergarten, secondary technical school etc, whose photos could be seen in the history room.

The exhibition terminates with a number of color pictures, souvenirs and congratulatory letters for the 120th anniversary of the defense industry in Bulgaria and the 75th Jubilee of "Arsenal" Ltd. on the territory of Kazanlak.

The stage after the World War II is characterized by considerable drop of the orders for military products and the orientation of the production facilities for civil sphere.

The exhibited diesel engines, electric motors, batteries, radiators, the first lathe "Niles", lathe model 200, the six milling machines, cast-iron mouldings, hard alloy plates, the first - in 1958 and the millionth assault rifle in 1982, the prototypes of pistols and sub-machine guns, exhibits of powders, cartridges and pyrotechnic products of the factory illustrate its intensive and varied development.

The photo copies follow the chronology of the events, that is when the factory passes from one institution to another, changing names and managers, enlarges and extends its structures and activities but always has remained the pillar of the national machine building and the defence industry of the country. A considerable part of the exhibition take the various diplomas, awards, medals, posters, souvenirs from participants at international fairs and exhibitions.

The two visits of the designer of the legendary assault rifle "Kalashnikov" are evidenced by several precious pictures , as well as by a 5,45 mm assault rifle and smoothbore carbine "Saiga 410" with the authentic signature of their designer and Certificate of Authenticity.

Parallel to the production program has been developed the sociocultural and sports activity which results in a number of mountain huts, recreation centres, sanatoria, hospital, sports complex with a hotel, a house of culture, kindergarten, secondary technical school etc, whose photos could be seen in the history room.

The exhibition terminates with a number of color pictures, souvenirs and congratulatory letters for the 120th anniversary of the defense industry in Bulgaria and the 75th Jubilee of "Arsenal" Ltd. on the territory of Kazanlak.